The Assistant Gardener – Ornamental Gardens works with the Head Gardener and at times, the Keeper of the Farm, to create a beautiful ornamental garden, including flowers, lawns and shrubs. The position requires an individual who is a people person and loves plants, flowers and gardening, can both follow supervision and also keep him or herself productively busy with minimal direction; and wants to learn about the world of horticulture. We believe in an environmentally-friendly approach to gardening, are organic, and accordingly appreciate individuals that think the same. The ideal person will also have experience, love hard work, long hours, and enjoy working with children as well as adults.
Many of our guests return each year to experience our gardens. We have a long tradition of growing beautiful flowers that are used onsite for floral arrangements in guest cabins and common areas. In addition we have several lawn areas that provide guests with the perfect backdrop for a game of Frisbee or football, or simply as a quiet place to read a good book. In addition, we maintain several ornamental gardens and have plans for more. The garden plays an important role in our Family Camp, Private Group Rentals, Workshops (Summer) and Field Trips (Spring) for not only the production of beautiful backdrops, but also for educational purposes and property beautification.
Main Responsibilities (in no particular order):
- Annual flower garden planning and implementation
- Enthusiastically leading educational activities for guests of all ages including deadheading, weeding, pruning and planting.
- Maintenance of perennial areas including pruning, weeding and planting
- Effectively and regularly communicate with the Head Gardener and Keeper of the Farm concerning landscaping needs
- Landscaping including weekly lawn mowing, weed wacking, etc.
- Spring duties will be split between the garden and facility operation and maintenance, including but not limited to animal care, facilities projects, etc.
- Kitchen Garden assistance such as planting, weeding and harvesting
Other Possible Responsibilities (as needed)
- Facilities: various farm and property maintenance projects
- Animals: feeding and care
- Kitchen: occasional assistance with meal and kitchen clean up
- Minimum $345/week, plus room and board. Tips during Family Camp/Groups.
40 hours a week; 5 or 5.5 days per week depending upon business needs. Holidays and weekends required. Please note we generally cannot approve extended vacation time (i.e. more than your usual days off) for our staff during the program season due to the demands of our business as well as our staffing levels.
We do not allow overtime for financial reasons, but more importantly, because we want our staff to enjoy the farm amenities and its surroundings to the fullest extent when not working. Our goal is to ensure that working at Emandal is more than just a job – we want each of our staff to have an adventure.
2019 Dates of Employment
(1) Full Season: March 15 – October 12, 2019
Preference is given to applicants who can stay for an entire period, but we will still consider applications for shorter time periods. End date in particular may be flexible dependent on needs of the business and staff member. Please check with us prior to applying.
All 2019 Emandal staff will be required to attend our 2 week staff training (May 12-23, 2019). Training topics will include guest relations policies and techniques; kitchen, facilities and housekeeping foundation skills; Emandal history, policies and procedures; animal feeding and basic care; garden harvesting procedures, etc. Applicants who cannot attend this training in its entirety will not be considered.
Hiring Dates and Application
We will accept applications beginning December 15, 2018. Note, however, we hire on a rolling basis, so the sooner you return your COMPLETE application package (see below) to us, the better your chances for being considered.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please complete the online application, and be sure to attach your resume and a cover letter describing your qualifications and reasons for wanting to work in this position at Emandal.
After reading all that’s on the website and if you would like more specific information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org