ONLINE APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE!
We are looking for people to be part of our Cooking Enthusiast team known for consistently creating delicious farm-to-table meals….along with kid friendly wholesome comfort food meals, with a slant towards the simple (no, not plain- just simple). Folks tell us that our food is the number one reason they keep coming back year after year. It is not the typical cafeteria/camp fare. We create healthy, sumptuous, well balanced meals for our Family Camp programs, as well as for Private Group Retreats and other events. Everything is prepared from scratch; no mixes are used. We incorporate our own farm-grown meat and poultry whenever possible. When we can, we use produce and fresh herbs from our own organic garden and orchard. We also roast coffee and make our own jams, syrups, granola, breads and desserts.
The Basic Qualifications and Expectations are the same for this position as for the others (see “Essential Expectations”). In addition, he/she must also have a desire to learn about cooking for large groups (from 20-100 people, usually around 70). Communication and organizational skills are a must in the kitchen, as is the ability to work as a team and be flexible. The ideal persons for this position love people, to cook, want to learn more about using seasonal fresh ingredients, enjoy hard work, are willing to learn new techniques, and understand the importance of flexibility and of working as part of a team to deliver the most outstanding guest experience possible. They also won’t mind farm and resort work (such as housekeeping duties and animal care), as this position is essentially a Seasonal Support staff role with a cooking emphasis.
Main Responsibilities – Kitchen:
- Assist in creating and serving family-style/buffet meals for groups of 60-75 people (or more)
- Prepping raw ingredients-slicing vegetables, washing lettuce, picking herbs, etc.
- Work with the Kitchen Manager to plan menus, order rotating stock, and track and maintain appropriate inventory
- Clearly communicate produce needs to garden staff within an appropriate time frame
- Lead guest involvement in kitchen/food related “chores”: cookie making, pickle packing, etc.
- Prepare occasional staff meals (on work days when there are no guests)
- On occasion, assist in preparation and serving of banquet style meals for 80-100 people
- Help clean/at times lead the cleaning of the dining hall and kitchen after meals including dish washing (with commercial dishwasher and by hand), sweeping, mopping, putting away foods, putting away dishes, cleaning countertops, etc.
- Monitor cleanliness and organization of refrigerator, walk-in cooler and food cellar
Additional Responsibilities; include but are not limited to:
- Housekeeping: cleaning and setting up cabins for guests, cleaning bathrooms, laundry, etc.
- Animals: feeding and care; leading animal chores with guests in such a way that is both fun and educational
- Garden: Apple picking, berry picking, harvesting herbs, peeling garlic and onions, etc.
- Facilities: Various farm maintenance projects as needed and time permitting
Minimum $250/week, plus room and board. Tips during Family Camp/Groups.
40 hours a week; 5 or 5.5 days per week depending upon business needs. Holidays and weekends required. Please note we generally cannot approve extended vacation time (i.e. more than your usual days off) for our staff during the program season due to the demands of our business as well as our staffing levels.
We do not allow overtime for financial reasons, but more importantly, because we want our staff to enjoy the farm amenities and its surroundings to the fullest extent when not working. Our goal is to ensure that working at Emandal is more than just a job – we want each of our staff to have an adventure.
2017 Dates of Employment
(1-3) Full Season: May 21- September 20-22, 2017
Mandatory 2017 Staff Training – May 21 – June 2, 2017
All 2017 Emandal staff will be required to attend our 2 week staff training. Training topics will include guest relations policies and techniques; kitchen, facilities and housekeeping foundation skills; Emandal history, policies and procedures; animal feeding and basic care; garden harvesting procedures, etc. Applicants who cannot attend this training in its entirety will not be considered.
Hiring Dates and Application
We will accept applications January 1, 2017 – March 31, 2017. We hire on a rolling basis, so the sooner you return your COMPLETE application package (see below) to us, the better your chances for being considered.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please complete the online application, and be sure to attach your resume and a cover letter describing your qualifications and reasons for wanting to work in this position at Emandal.